The first thing to do when you get a database engine error is to reindex. Reindexing is very easy to do. Be sure to close the kiosk Touch-Screen Assistant software—anything that is accessing the data files—and everybody’s Reporter except the one which will perform the reindex.
- Backup the database: in the Reporter – File | Backup.
- Make sure everyone else is out of the Reporter.
- Close the Touch-Screen Assistant on the kiosk if you have it.
- Close all the Reporter windows except the main menu.
- Click on the File menu | Reindex Data.
- Watch the progress meter.
- Do not cancel even if Windows says not responding.
- When it says finished, click OK.
The Reporter creates the indexes all the time. It’s how the Reporter alphabetizes and aligns all volunteers. Occasionally the indexes get out of place or corrupted. The Reporter reindex utility can re-sort the indexes and remake them.
We never recommend routine reindexing and we do it only as a last resort, after exploring possible explanations for questions about how the database is performing. We always backup before reindexing.