This describes migrating data from the local drive to a network folder.
Create a Data Folder
First make a shared data folder on the network. Give each Reporter user/workstation full read and write access to it. Write the path to it.
Back up the Data
Backup the data on the user’s local drive, as below. Then follow the directions farther down to restore the data to the new data folder on the server.
- Open the Volunteer Reporter, have only the main menu open.
- Click on File menu | Backup.
3. Click the file folder icon to the right of the “Put the backup in” field
4. Scroll if necessary to navigate to the drive where the backup will be saved.
5. Click the plus sign [+] next to the drive to open it. It becomes a minus sign [-].
6. Click on the name of the backup folder to highlight it. [In this instance it is called “backup.”]
7. Click OK.
8. Verify the path.
9. The file always used to be named simply VRdata.zip, but now in version 5.7 you can have the date added automatically so that it will not overwrite the previous backup. Check the checkbox to add the date.
10. Click OK.
11. Finished. Now you can keep the file as a backup. This is handy to attach to an email to send to support sometimes when we need to look at your data.
12. Click OK to close.
Create the Data Set
The Reporter restores data to the currently selected data set.
- Open the Volunteer Reporter.
- Go to the File menu | Select Data Set.
- Click Add.
- Name the data set or leave it titled Default.
- Browse to or type the path to the data folder.
- Click the Select button to close.
Restore the Data
Go to the File menu | Restore | Restore Data Files window:
- To the right of the “Restore from this file” field click the little folder icon
- Navigate to the correct folder or drive
- Click the backup file name, e.g., VRdata.zip or VRdata_20110510.zip
- Click OK
- Click OK again
You will receive several messages:
Are you sure you want to replace your current data with a previous copy of your data?
- If the user has created any custom templates you ought to copy them from the local Reporter\data\Shared Documents\ folder to the new Shared Documents folder on the server inside the data folder. They will be Word docs without Sample in their name.
- Clean up the local drive by removing the old data after verifying all is well.
- Remove the old data set in File | Select Data Set.
- Click the Select button to close Data Sets window.